Thursday, January 3, 2013

Crate Coffee Table

Alright folks, so here's the first project in a hot minute, and I know its on pinterest already, but I've added a few different touches that I think are kinda cool. So here's my version of the craft store crate coffee table:


Step 1: go pick yourself up some crates from the local craft store

Step 2: get some stain. Or in my case, go find a decent looking old one from the garage! I used this one from MixWax ^^^

Step 3: stain the crates according to the instructions on the can of stain
Aaaaaand this is where I failed at taking pictures... So, sorry folks... Also, a helpful tip for all the steps along the way: DRILL PILOT HOLES!!! I know they are more work, but your project will look better in the end. Also, if you use bronze(ish) screws, they match better with dark stains.

Step 4: Set the crates up on their sides with the openings facing out (if this doesn't make sense, look at the pictures of the finished coffee table below, and do that). Screw 3 of the crates together. I used four screws at every connection, and it might have been a bit much. Make sure you screw from the slat side into the thicker side pieces (with the handle cutouts) and not the other way around!

Step 5: Place the 3 assembled crates on top of a piece of MDF or hardboard (I used hardboard). Set the 4th crate in place, and then trace and cut the piece of MDF or hardboard to make the top of the base (it should be approx. 3'x3'). Then cut another piece of the same material to put in between the crates to fill the hole in the middle. Spray paint the two pieces whatever color you want! I chose red because I love warm colors in a living area.

Step 6: Slide the smaller spray painted board in the middle of the three connected crates so it rests on top of the slats. Then screw together the last crate with the spray painted board in the middle. It should now be trapped (but might still move a little)! **Screwing everything together might require another set of hands. Seeing as how these are cheap craft store crates, they are not perfect. Which means some of them are not square, which can require some manipulating to get the top flat and make sure there aren't any gaps on the sides. But trust me, its doable!

Step 7: Cut 2x4s to make a structural base that will go under the large spray painted boards, and the crates. I made a square with mitered corners, then put one cross beam in the middle for extra support. Screw together.

Step 7: Stain the structural base the same color as the crates. Or different if you want! Its yours, do whatever! Painting is an option as well!

Step 8: At this point, you should have three separate pieces: 
1. Your crate structure
2. Your spray painted hardboard base
3. Your 2x4 structural base
Assemble those items together as a sandwich in that order, by screwing down from the inside bottom of the crate structure, through the hardboard, and into the 2x4 base.

Step 9: Flip the table over. Screw in casters to the four corners of the structural base, being careful that you're not putting them where they might hit previously placed screws.

Step 10: Flip it back over, and roll it over to your couch because you are done!


My finished coffee table:



I hope that was helpful, and I apologize again for not having those pictures for the middle steps. I know I learn best just from pictures, so if you have any questions feel free to comment and I'll try to help you out. And trust me, you don't have to have much construction knowledge to put this one together! Just a power drill and some spare time is really all you need!


No comments:

Post a Comment